Thursday 22 January 2009

big news

My dear friends,

I WENT BUNGY JUMPING OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(some unwholesome language to follow)

Allow me to elaborate: I have never wanted to go bungy jumping. Sky diving, sure. But I have never wanted to attach myself to a tenuous piece of cord before jumping off of something tall. And then, shortly before I left home, I suddenly started thinking that hey, maybe I would do it. And then yesterday, I woke up and thought "Yeah. Bungy jumping. Today." So I did. I was picked up at 2:30, got all harnessed in, then walked on this cool foot bridge under the Auckland Harbour Bridge and over the water (great views), then up up up into this weird little bubble/pod thing. And then I had these velcro gator-things attached to my ankles and all sorts of ropes and things attached to my harness, and then they had me stand up. And my heart was frigging pounding, it felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. And then they had me hobble over to the end of a platform reminiscent of a diving board and I'm standing there with my toes out over open air a whole lot of ocean and I'm thinking (here's the unwholesome language): "holy fuck, holy shit, shit shit shit, what the fuck am I doing" and my heart's trying to kill me and huge adrenaline is soaring through my veins and there's this 120 foot drop that I'm supposed to willingly throw myself into and then the evil operator goes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and...

I jumped.

Not fell, mind you. Jumped. Arms out at my sides, like I was about to fly, because it was my choice. The first moment was probably the scariest feeling I've ever had- this positively sickening lurch- and then, as I approached the bright green water, I realized I absolutely loved it and started screaming my head off (which to my mind indicates a good time.) So I bounced a bunch of times, then released my feet and they hauled me up, all the while being cheered by a huge crowd of Ozzie onlookers. Oh my god the adrenaline. I swear, I no longer have blood flowing through me- it's all adrenaline, even now. I feel like I could do anything. I could dodge bullets, or stop a speeding train, or save the world. Or all three. Most amazing thing I have EVER done. I can't wait to go again!

In other news, it's a great thing to be an American these days. And the Kiwis are so proud of us! It's a very cool thing. My days here have been filled with searching for jobs and going on fun day trips. I've been to the beach, the zoo, and this cute little seaside town called Devonport. Today's biggest news though is that I got a job!!! I applied for it last night when I was high on life and corresponded with the guy a few times before he called me and offered me the position! I think it'll be a good fit for me- it's working at a cafe in Lake Tekapo, Canterbury. Seriously? Check it out. Google that shite and see exactly what I'm talking about. A town on an intensly turqouise lake with mountains in the background; aka: beyond beautiful. I fly to Christchurch on Tuesday and will start work around Thursday. It'll be so great to have a job a feel comfortable with, in addition to the time and the means to explore the incredible countryside.

My name is Olivia Rizzo, I live in New Zealand, I am employed, I am a bungy jumping convert, and I am full of adrenaline and dreams.

Most happily yours,
*Olivia

"In the midst of our lives, we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."

No comments:

Post a Comment