Saturday 3 January 2009

La La Land

Hello friends,

I woke up to a blizzard on Wednesday. I guess New England had issues with me leaving, too. Weather be damned- my plane was only delayed by 45 minutes. I think what makes this so hard is that I have no idea when I'm coming home. When I've gone away to London, New Jersey, Germany, etc, we always knew when I'd be back, and it was never for all that long. It's the "unknown" component now... But I left; I got out the door. I internalized all the crap and somehow found the words to say goodbye. Rough. I had a great send-off though: an evening of family, friends, photos, and fondue. A very good evening.

Contrary to what I had originally anticipated, I LOVE CALIFORNIA! It was bizarre to walk out of the airport 1. to see palm trees and 2. to see everyone running around wearing winter attire in 55 degree weather... But aside from that, the overabundance of neon lights, and the slight smog problem, LA is a pretty chill city. My first day I hung out around Hollywood Boulevard while my dear friend Cali worked. Weird place, but I still liked it. Grand, in a way. I ate lunch on the roof of the Kodak Theatre next to a Michael Jackson impersonator eating strawberry yogurt. He had the single white glove and the silver spangled belt and everything. At one point I walked by Catwoman, Captain Jack Sparrow, and Elvis impersonaters discussing the medical benefits of taking cranberry supplements. Only in LA? I got tired of all the celebrity nonsense though and took the bus over the Farmers Market. Oh my god what a place!

Friday was one of the most wonderful days I've in a long time. Not saying that I haven't had some great days recently, but DISNEYLAND takes the cake! For a Disney-lover such as I, it was like making the pilgrimage to Mecca. Mickey Mouse, princess galore,
castles covered in white lights, the Matterhorn, fireworks, much talk about believing in your dreams (love that), and Space Mountain!!!!!!! It was amazing. Nine hours of magic. Saturday was brunch with Cali, catching up on posting pictures and e-mailing, and awesome Mexican food with JP! Today I got to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time, which was way cool. I dipped my feet and took a lovely walk along the beach, then went for a walk along Santa Monica Boulevard.

My flight to Fiji leaves tomorrow at 10:30pm and I will be on the plane for a very, very, very long time. I arrive in Nadi on the 7th (yep, two days later) at 5:15am, to be picked up by the owners of the hostel I'm staying at. So, that's what I will be doing until you next hear from me. Be well, be safe, and have adventures!

*Olivia

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over,
it became a butterfly."

No comments:

Post a Comment